JOHOR BAHRU 26 August 2020 – If one is driving along the Tun Abdul Razak road into or out of the Johor Bahru city center, one would surely notice the majestic golden-domed and blue-glassed new Habib Hassan Al-Attas mosque.
Built on a 1.4 acres land, the new mosque replaces an older version of itself built in 1873 by the famous historical figure, Habib Hassan Al-Attas.
Hailing from Pahang, Habib Hassan was a reputed religious leader and businessman who helped build the Modern Johor. He came and settled in Johor under the invitation of HRH Sultan Abu Bakar, the Sultan of Johor at the time and the mosque was one of the many prominent buildings he helped build.
Today the new mosque, built on top of the old site through a project managed by TPM Technopark, a wholly owned company of Johor Corporation, features 2 floors and has a bigger capacity with the ability to receive a congregation of 1,500 at a time, fulfilling the need of the surrounding population.
The cost of rebuilding the mosque amounted to RM8.5 million and was partly funded by the state government and partly by the mosque’s committee itself.
Upon completion, the mosque was handed over to the state in a special ceremony. Attending the handing over ceremony were: Tuan Haji Abdul Halim bin Hamzah, State Development Director; Tuan Haji Taufik bin Dato’ Kiyai Haji Shamsuddin, Representative of Director of Islamic Religion Department of Johor; Datuk Akmal bin Ahmad, Director of Real Estate Division of Johor Corporation and Encik Mohamad Salleh bin Mohamad Yusof, Managing Director of TPM Technopark Sdn Bhd.